Hola People! Did you know, Bali has been rated as number 1 tourist destination this year by Trip Advisor. In last few years the city has become first in mind choice for beach lovers. Located in a small country like Indonesia the place comes as a surprise package for first timers. Bali offers variety of tourist attractions like beaches, mountains, temples, nightlife and ayurvedic massages. Due to its close proximity to Australia the place gets many tourists from Australia and New Zealand apart from the Asian continent. From honeymooners to adventure lovers the place has something to offer to everyone.
Before traveling to Bali like many, I did my bit of research and went with a wish list. I covered maximum places recommended and would like to share my experience that can help some of you to plan your trip better. So if you are planning a Bali trip in near future you must do these top 10 things and avoid few overrated options:
- Pandawa Beach – It is one of the most underrated place in Bali. I hardly found anyone recommending this beach but to all my surprise this is one of the best place and tops the list of must dos in Bali. The place has one of the cleanest beach in Bali. It has a shallow shore line so you can walk as far as 500 meters inside the sea without any difficulty. If you have kids or a non-swimmer then this place is perfect for you to spend a day. You can do kayaking and swim inside the sea. You can know more about Pandawa Beach Here
- Tanah lot Temple – Tanah Alot temple is one of the most important landmark of Bali. Offers a unique offshore setting and sunset backdrop. It’s exciting to walk inside the sea to visit the temple. It offers one of the finest sunset view in Bali but I recommend to reach the place early so that you can identify the best spot for witnessing sunset and also as later in the evening the tides get strong and you will not be able to spend much time near the temple rock.
- Uluwatu Temple – It is one of the most popular tourist destination. A temple next to a cliff offers you a visual treat and an unforgettable evening. Best time to visit the temple is evening where you can enjoy the sunset and capture beautiful colors of nature. Uluwatu is also known for its Kecak and fire dance but I found it to be too overrated and waste of money and time. It tells you story of Ramayana (Indian mythology) in the worst possible way.
- Kuta Beach – Kuta is one of the most crowded beaches in Bali. The Kuta beach is primarily a hub for Surfing learners. For all those who don’t know surfing can take surfing class and explore your new found love for surfing. Apart from surfing Kuta is a hub for shopping and nightlife.
- Monkey Forest Ubud – Monkey Forest will crop up multiple times during your search. Something similar happened with me too. I was suggested by a couple of my friends who had already visited Bali to check out Monkey Forest during my stay there. One of the days when we were covering places in and around Ubud, our driver took us to this place. It is situated right in the middle of Ubud, very close to the Ubud market and the Ubud Palace. You can read more details on my blog about Monkey Forest
- Rice Terrace – For all the nature lovers and photographers the Rice Terrace is not a miss. It will be convenient to plan a trip to Rice terrace if you will stay at Ubud. Try not to plan Rice terrace and Monkey forest in the same day as it will be very tiring however if you are staying near Kuta or South Bali then you can.
- Ubud – clearly this is one of the best place to stay in Bali if you want more nature and less of Beach front. The place has some very fancy café and clubs. Ideally should divide your stay between Ubud and rest of Bali like Kuta, Nusa Dua or Semniyak.
- Nusa Dua- Majorly famous for Water Sports & Romantic Stay, it is one of the most beautiful place in Bali. The area is more serene, clean and is suitable for luxury stays with some of the best hotels & resorts of Bali. Nusa Dua is more suitable for Honeymooners and is the best spot for Water sports.
Hope this post helps you in planning your trip to this beautiful place. For any queries, please do leave a comment and I will be happy to answer all your questions.